All News from the DCSU…
NOVEMBER 26, 2012 – EXECUTIVE MEETING
NOVEMBER 26, 2012.
Approval of agenda
Approval of minutes
- in attendance: Grace, Isabel, Cassandra, Cam, Myrto, Johanna, Monty, Justin dropped in also.
- not in attendance: N/A
- Johanna moves to approve agenda – Isabel seconds – All in favour
- Cass moves to approve minutes – Johanna seconds – All in favour
- number’s will not include Brechtfast or the theatre outing
- starting numbers at begin of year: $1740.03 – more than last year
- deposited from DC: $1100
- Cass: what is this breakdown and what are they earmarked for? We need to know how we’re meant to spend it. i.e. $500 for capital gift, and $500 for FOOT
- last year we spent $1000 for FOOT
- Monty: first instalment from head grant: $566.05 – more than last year
- need to pay back Brechtfast and Opera Atelier
- Cass bought refreshments and food for “pupnight” – but she says it was too few people? – but those are the normal numbers – budget was agreed ahead of time
- (Monty: how can we make more people come to pubnights)
- also, conference grant, due Dec. 5, for FOOT – Cass is already working on that
- we will get second instalment of head grant (last year $382)
- Monty: DC also pays more money to FOOT?
- Cass: yes, specific aspects, and $500 directly from DC. Then DC money ($500) through DCSU to FOOT, and GSU money ($500) through DCSU.
- There’s a second account – a savings, accessible once a year
- Last year, FOOT asked for an extra $500 to fund, and we agreed.
- Grace: We could up the theatre outing. Or capital gift.
- Cass: the reason we budget $200 for theatre outings, is because our source of income for it is the endowment.
- Monty: Proposes to look at our finances and see where we can tighten up and open up funds, as well as how we can pass down a more clear and compartmentalized account to future execs.
- Cass: we need to check in with GSU about what the rules are. And of course, we need to check in with our student body.
- Monty: absolutely. We should present this to the student body.
- Isabel: Maybe we can make a cheat-sheet, short document. Cass: yes, it exists.
- Isabel: we can create a proposal, and Isabel can take it to the GSU.
- Cass: Yes, bc they ask for end of year report.
- Grace: Monty, get the box of documents from Laura. Grace will get in contact with Laura.
- Monty: why doesn’t the box live at the DC? Cass: bc we don’t have a secure space. Myrto: should we get one? Monty: I would prefer not to have it at home.
- Cass: idea for capital gift, small safe for the student lounge. Johanna: is that a capital gift? Should that come from the extra money that gets rolled in to the budget? Monty: can it be a filling cabinet with a lock. Grace: it will get voted on at the General Meeting. Johanna: but we don’t have a key to the student lounge. Maybe, Monty should have a copy?
- Cass: Shouldn’t someone have a key and passcode to the DC every year? E.g. the president? Isabel: yeah, if we need to come meet, or set up… etc.
- Cass: Can Grace speak to Stephen?
- Monty: someone on Paul’s team should also have it.
- Cass: there could be a card-swipe?
- Jo: we should actually have offices we can use.
- Cass: also, Nikki has opened up her old office.
- Monty: we should at least have keys for the student lounge.
- Isabel: we should speak to Stephen about the UC office space too. We should at least get coded access. Jo: we should place a lot of pressure to get offices. This is our job. Isabel: everyone else in grad school has keys to their department. Jo: the seminar room, the kitchen, and student lounge should be open to all of us.
- Cass: this was the case in the past, but students basically lived here. And people would forget to lock. And access to building isn’t possible. Isabel: but, when the building is open, we should totally be able to use it. And, the living here, will not necessarily happen here. Put a lock on the theatre and stuff. Jo: if we had offices, this wouldn’t be an issue.
- Cass: Stephen has created the lobby as a working space with the tables in the lobby – if we get offices, it will decentralize the student experience. All: it’s great out there, but it’s not enough, quite. People stay home bc have nowhere to leave their stuff.
- Monty: the only thing that is preventing us keeping the main doors open is the theatre. All: we need new doors for the theatre.
- Grace: let’s move on. She will speak to Stephen.
- Cass: Stephen’s best operating tool is a strongly worded letter. Jo: we should research other programs and see what they offer. Isabel: will do English and History. Cam: will do poli sci. Grace will write the letter. We’re asking for access to the space we have, and also working space. Jo: will look into other universities. Cass: asking for a swipe is better.
- Not much to report. Elected a new executive at large person, who says he will try to specifically look into funding post-funded cohort.
- Discussed whether an academics and funding committee exists. They’ve been doing work for a year, but they’re not on the standing list of committees. Ad-hoc? No decision.
- Also civics committee’s mandate – discussion.
- They are trying to push the issue of fees vs funding post-funding.
- Grace: Justin might stop by shortly to tell us things about TA stuff.
- Grace: he would like to propose a meeting for people in the union. We don’t get funding from union for having a steward until we had for a year – so we would have to buy own food.
- Let’s organize communication of important things, re: surveys and stuff, by email, emergency meetings, and visiting the classes.
- Isabel: all are also invited to attend these meetings. Anyone who is there can speak and influence the decision.
- Jo: Isabel can type up a short summary so we can communicate it.
- date/time: Dec. 5, 6:30
- we should be here at 4:30.
- Cass is making the turkey. Cass: just turkey? or turkey and stuffing? Sure! She should get a cab to bring.
- Isabel: potatoes.
- Cass: have we booked the bar? Grace: She will confirm.
- Cass: should we have some non-alc bevs? Because the bar overcharges us for it. Jo: not a lot. Grace: will bring.
- Cass: needs to be captain music. Isabel! check out rehearsal room for speakers etc.
- Cass: might ask Stephen to be Santa.
- Jo: accessories – cran sauce, buns. We also check if we have enough plates, cutleries, cups, etc.
- Cam: veggies.
- Myrto: deserts.
- Isabel: make a facebook event.
- Cass: no theatre.
- Cass: baby DCers. Can Stephen give out little gifts?
- Isabel: how is the movie thing set up for the kids in the seminar room? We should ask on of the parents. Grace will email the parents. Jo: we can set up the room.
- Let’s talk it up!! Grace will make a poster.
- Stephen sent email to Grace: 1 dozen mats are $155.88.
- Cass motions this is good for last year’s capital gift. Grace seconds. All in favour.
- Myrto: gym mats? Maybe for this year?
- Jury’s out on the booth laptop. Apparently they were supposed to get a desktop for the booth. We need it for sound software.
- Monty: It actually should not be a laptop! Jo: or two desktops to use for both spaces, bc it will cost same as buying one (properly good) laptop.
- Suggestions for this year’s: a safe? gym mats? storage for books? Email accessible printer?
- We should fix the current printer first. What about the printers? Nothing has happened.
- Justin with Union related things:
- unit 4 is on strike, only 44 people, part-time employees committed elsewhere too. They’re providing lunch for anyone who pickets with them.
- there was just a meeting for unit 1. we almost went on strike last yr. some people are trying to make it happen – i.e. proposing we should always strike. we should all start paying attention, otherwise, only very extreme voices are heard.
- department level CUPE orientation – no funding available yet, we need to have a steward for at least a full year. it would be $100/yr. We should have a CUPE orientation. esp. grievance process, bargaining, funds for various things (e.g. health savings account, student parents, etc.) – most people don’t know.
- Can we tie this to an event in January? – Tie to the AGM. – We should have some food…
- Justin requests that we organize this.
- Cass moves we support the meeting for $50 for food. Isabel seconds. All in favor.
- Can we have a Tuesday or Thursday for the meeting?
- Cass: undergrads.
- they have a new student union. cass spoke to them. a union and a paid admin group.
- to facilitate – we should send an ex officio to them, and vice versa (no voting, just chat and hear)
- social and theatre activities together: they suggested a recurring student-organized show across the department. kinda like foot structurally. proposed the year before, artistic director, etc.
- Cass can write a proposal to the theatres committees
- Grace: Yes, bc lately more interest in smaller shows. Cass: no, actually, we mean a larger show to include both grads and undergraduate. Jo: is the summer a problem? Isabel: will there really be interest at the grad level? Myrto/Grace: that’s why might be better a whole bunch of small pieces (like the salon). Isabel: maybe there can be a choice/flexibility as to which of the two is pitched each year?
Myrto moves to adjourn. Grace seconds. All in favour.
This entry was posted by dcsu on March 8, 2013 at 8:59 pm, and is filed under Executive Meeting Minutes. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0.Both comments and pings are currently closed.