April 2, 2013

DC Seminar Room



Approve Agenda

Approve Minutes from Last GM

Elections – President, Ex-Officio, Treasure, PhD Member-at-Large, Union Steward

End of the Year Party

Treasurer’s Report

GSU Report

Capital Gift


Other Business




Grace moves to start meeting – Cassandra seconds – All in Favour

In attendance: Grace, Cassandra, Isabel, Cameron, Johanna, Art, Monty, Myrto


Grace moves to waive quorum – Cassandra seconds – All in favour


Approve Agenda

Cass moves to approve agenda – Isabel seconds – All in favour



Approve Minutes from Last GM

Grace moves to approve minutes – Cameron seconds – All in favour


Elections – President, Ex-Officio, Treasure, PPhD Member-at-Large, Union Steward

Cassandra: traditionally the president becomes ex-officio

Grace would like to be Union Steward – Nominates herself – No other nominations – Grace wins by acclamation

Johanna informs us that Jenny, who is not not here, would like to be PhD member at large – Johanna nominates Jenny – Cam seconds – no other nominations – wins by acclamation

Cass nominates Myrto for treasurer – Myrto declines

Johanna nominates Art for Secretary – Art declines

Cassandra nominates Johanna for Secretary – Johanna declines

Isabel co-nominates Johanna and Monty for co-president – Johanna declines – Monty declines

Isabel co-nominates Myrto and Cam for Co-presidents – Art seconds – no other nominations – win by acclamation

Jo nominates Art as Treasurer – Isabel seconds – no other nominations – wins by acclamation

Jo nominates Monty Ex-off – Art seconds – no other nominations – wins by acclamation


End of the Year Party

it’s booked, April 10th at 8pm, an email will go out tonight by Cam

munchies – a couple of plates every hour – Cass says every half hour – over budget?

did we vote to use more money? – yes, $150

more munchies, less often, starting at 8 or 8:30 – 3 times during the evening

we will use Cam’s card for the deposit – others are also willing to if need be

Cass suggests to make Facebook event – Art is doing it now

Awards: Grace will make award certificates, Isabel will buy candy. Award categories will be decided over email. We usually do about 7 or 8. The Saddlemeyer Parker award announcement has gone to Lou.


Treasurer’s Report

$980.79 is going into the account from Head Grant, Special Grant, and Conference Grant

There are a couple of cheques to go out – to Grace, to Allison.

The second account does not get used.

Final balance will be updated soon, as soon as incoming/outgoing cheques are taken care of.

Cass: check in with Lou about a cheque that was owed her for the holiday party.

Note: at the end of year party – we should keep an eye on what we’re spending! If we’re going to get charged for the diff up to $500 anyway, we might as well buy something for it.


GSU Report

Nothing new to report. But, note that the cheque for special grant: we will be required to report on that re: event. Event will be happening on April 12, 2-4pm.

Isabel brings Art up to date re: re-hauling our health insurance. Perhaps will change provider. Art has a complaint to communicate about it. Will send to Isabel.


Capital Gift

It doesn’t seem as though we have come to a decision about the computer…


Gym mats to supplement Yoga mats – Grace will price out the gym mats end of April.

Magic technology box (Monty’s suggestion)

Furnishing the office space

Cass suggests a magic email printer, can charge people bc the thing keeps track. (Each person pays up front? Or are people to be asked to pay at end?) Someone specific will have to be responsible for it (costs and maintenance) – e.g. members at large. Perhaps DCSU would have to front the costs. Each DCSU will have to decide how they do with it. Grace brings up issue of access to room. Cass will investigate the technicalities in late April.

Isabel: A good coffee maker? According to Cass this is historically problematic in terms of maintenance.

Decision will be made via email between gym mats and printer end of April.



We have accepted a proposal – Kelsy and Allison.

If we have any questions or concerns, we should let them know.


Other Business

Art’s suggestion: a theatre sub-committee. Cassandra volunteers to help Art.

Monty suggests having a regular theatre outing night.

Cass suggests that we go to Peter Kuling to have a second calendar, or to make suggestions/announcements on current calendar of good/cheap shows.

They can help us get group prices for the official theatre outings – and in collaboration with Massey.

Myrto – announcement to the students abt exec meetings? – Something we can talk about next year. Especially sometime in summer.


Grace moves to Adjourn – Cassandra seconds – all in favour